-House of former president, Goodluck Jonathan,was rubbed
- Policemen who were asked to guard the place allegedly carried out the theft
- A video was released to show the extent of the damage.
the home which is located at No. 89, Fourth Avenue in the Gwarimpa district of Abuja, Nigeria was stripped of its valuables by the policemen during a period of three months in 2016.
Former president, Goodluck Jonathan's house in Abuja gwarimpa stripped bare by burglars Credit: Premium Times
The items in the house was were reportedly sold to dealers at the Panteka second-hand materials market in Tipper Garage, Gwarimpa.
Jonathan who confirmed the theft however disputed the specific number of each item reported. The former president made this known in a statement,
the criminals stripped the house clean of every valuable item.
Valuables removed from Jonathan's Abuja house Credit: Premium Times
His statement read in full: His statement read in full: "Following series of enquiries from journalists and other concerned Nigerians on the extent of the reported vandalisation and theft in the house of former President Dr. Goodluck Jonathan located in Gwarinpa Abuja, we therefore would like to make the following clarifications:
1) The theft was discovered last month upon which a report was duly lodged with the relevant police authorities.
2) The police immediately stated investigations which led to the arrest and detention of some suspects, six of whom were policemen, even as investigations continue.
The former president confirmed the burglary through his spokesperson Credit: Premium Times
3) The house, which the before President bought from CITEC estate developers in 2004, was totally stripped bare by the thieves who stole every movable item in the house including furniture sets, beds, electronics, toilet and electrical fittings, as well as all internal doors and frames.
4) However, contrary to exaggerated reports in some media, only six television sets, 3 refrigerators and one gas cooker were stolen. Being that the house is a modest 4-bedroom duplex, it couldn’t have been fitted with “36 Plasma television sets and about 25 refrigerators” as falsely reported by some media outfits.